($) has its own *typing rule*; it does not have a special type.  It's very ad
hoc, but ($) is used so much to decrease parens that (e1 $ e2) is almost
special syntax!

At the moment the *only* robust way to pass a polymorphic function to a
polymorphic function (here, you are passing Wrap to (.)) is to wrap it in a
newtype, much as Wrap does.

I have made several forays into the impredicative swamp, and barely made it
back to the shore alive.  I think that, at least in the context of Haskell, the
trick is to be less ambitious, something like QML.

Since this comes up regularly, I've started a wiki page to explain the issues:
  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ImpredicativePolymorphism

Please do improve it.

Simon