On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 09:24:41PM +0100, Abigail wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 02:13:00PM -0600, Peter da Silva wrote:
> > 2. The menu bar changes to match the focussed window. This obviates the
> > issue you mentioned, but brings up a bigger one. Now you can't click on the
> > menu bar because as soon as you leave the app you lose the menu bar!
> Uhm, sloppy focus? When I use my Linux box (or in previous lifes, my
> Solaris/HP/ or Cygwin box), my application doesn't lose focus, until my
> mouse enters *another* application. Focus isn't lost by just having the
> mouse leave the application. Of course, you'd still have a problem if you'd
> have to travel over several other applications to reach the menu.
> > To implement focus follows mouse on the Mac would require an alternate
> > mechanism to bring up the menu bar. Such as making it a default contextual
> > menu on the app.

On Windows I remember being able to bring up any menu I felt like, and
to explore all the available menu options, using the keybaord.
Alt-space, IIRC, to bring up the menu that had things like "kill this
application" and "move this window", and then cursor keys to navigate
around.  This is obviously too complicated for Apple.

Just because it is possible to do this sort of thing
in the English language doesn't mean it should be done