Hi Paula,

Thanks for raising these important questions about when various types of
"advanced" HCP datasets will be released.  We apologize for the delayed
response, but internal discussions were needed in order to clarify the HCP's
general game plan on this front.

The current Q2 HCP data release does not include extensively processed
connectivity data for individual subjects.  In future releases, HCP is
planning to release dense ("grayordinate-to-grayordinate") functional
connectivity datasets based on resting state fMRI from individual subjects.
This is currently planned for the Q4 release (November).

We plan to release a group-average functional connectivity dataset based on
120 subjects for the Q3 release (later in August).  This will be based on
published methods and will be an improvement over the "demo" 20-subject
group average released last spring (see below).

We are working on improving many of the steps for generating structural
connectivity datasets, based on diffusion imaging and probabilistic
tractography.  In the future, we will release probabilistic tractography and
"dense structural connectome" datasets, perhaps with the Q4 release.

There are ongoing efforts both within and outside the HCP consortium to
generate improved methods of brain parcellation, especially cerebral cortex.
"HCP-sanctioned" parcellated connectome datasets (based on improved cortical
parcellations) will be made publicly available in the future, but we have
not set a target date.  However, a forthcoming release of Connectome
Workbench (and the associated "workbench command") provides tools for
generating and visualizing parcellated connectomes.  Once these plus the
dense connectome datasets are released, you and others will be able to
generate parcellated connectomes based on your own preferred parcellation
scheme.

Currently, in
<http://humanconnectome.org/connectome/get-connectome-workbench.html>
Connectome Workbench beta 0.82, users can access a 20-subject group average
dense functional connectivity file over the internet  and interactively view
functional connectivity of user-selected vertices with the rest of the group
average surface (see the
<http://humanconnectome.org/documentation/tutorials/Connectome_WB_Tutorial_U
serGuide_beta_v0.82.pdf> Workbench beta 0.82 tutorial for details). Because
we are still working on improved methods for generating such data, we
recommend using it for demonstration purposes only, pending the
aforementioned 120-subject group average that will accompany the Q3 release.

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Regarding your question about head models for MEG analysis, we do indeed
plan to make a (FieldTrip-compatible) head model available for each subject
scanned using MEG.  MEG data collection began this summer, and the first MEG
data release is scheduled for the fall (November).

Best,

Jenn

Jennifer Elam, Ph.D.

Outreach Coordinator, Human Connectome Project

Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Box 8108

660 South Euclid Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63110

314-362-9387

el...@pcg.wustl.edu