Hi Yaro,

We were unable to find an open source alternative to Aspera that matches
its performance and feature set. I do want to emphasize that the Aspera
client software is free to end users, so while the Aspera infrastructure
is commercial (and costly), HCP users will NOT incur any cost.   HCP data
are also accessible over http using the XNAT REST API, but your
performance will suffer considerably compared to aspera (ie, I would not
recommend it for large batches of data).

There are a couple of additional data access methods that we'll be
implementing down the road.  Working with the INCF, we'll be making the
data accessible over INCF Dataspace.  We will also be putting the packages
up on the Amazon cloud.

Kevin will respond to your second question.

-Dan