Hi Lisa,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been working on a solution to the problem you raised.

As you noted, the libnetcdf.so.6 file is no longer available at the places previously suggested.

Please try the following:

1. Install the hdf5 library files that are prerequisites for libnetcdf6

     * Create a directory in your home directory called mylib

           $ cd
           $ mkdir mylib

     * Download libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-3ubuntu2_amd64.deb

           $ cd ~/Downloads
           $ wget

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/h/hdf5/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-3ubuntu2_amd64.deb

         o This assumes you are running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu
           which hopefully you are. The HCP Pipelines themselves will
           not run correctly on a 32-bit version of Ubuntu.

     * Extract the shared library files from the .deb file, and put
       them in your mylib directory.

           $ cd ~/mylib
           $ ar xv
           ~/Downloads/libhdf5-serial-1.8.4_1.8.4-patch1-3ubuntu2_amd64.deb
           $ rm control.tar.gz debian-binary
           $ tar xvf data.tar.gz
           $ mv ~/mylib/usr/lib/* .
           $ rm -rf ~/mylib/usr
           $ rm data.tar.gz

2. Install libnetcdf6 library files

     * Download libnetcdf6_4.1.1-6_amd64.deb

           $ cd ~/Downloads
           $ wget

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/n/netcdf/libnetcdf6_4.1.1-6_amd64.deb

     * Extract the shared library files from this .deb file and put
       them in your mylib directory.

           $ cd ~/mylib
           $ ar xv ~/Downloads/libnetcdf6_4.1.1-6_amd64.deb
           $ rm control.tar.gz debian-binary
           $ tar xvf data.tar.gz
           $ mv ~/mylib/usr/lib/* .
           $ rm -rf ~/mylib/usr
           $ rm data.tar.gz

3. Change your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable

   Use a text editor to add the following statements to the
   .bash_profile file in your home directory. (If a .bash_profile file
   does not exist in your home directory, simply create one with the
   following contents.)

       if [ -z "${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" ] ; then
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/mylib
       else
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${HOME}/mylib
       fi

4. Completely log off and log back in again. Try to run FreeSurfer's
   mris_make_surfaces binary using the environment set up you use for
   running the pipeline.

       $ source

/<what//ever-environment-//s//et-up-file-you//-are-using-for-running-this-p//ipeline>/
       $ mris_make_surfaces

If the response to the above command is:

   mris_make_surfaces: error while loading shared libraries:
   libnetcdf.so.6: cannot open ...

then we haven't solved your problem.

On the other hand, if the response is the help information for the mris_make_surfaces program, something like:

                     Help

   NAME
            mris_make_surfaces

   SYNOPSIS
            mris_make_surfaces [options] <subject name> <hemisphere>

   DESCRIPTION
            This program positions the tessellation of the cortical
   surface at the

then I believe you will be able to run mris_make_surfaces and thus the pipeline.

Either way, please respond to the list to let us know whether this works. If it does work, then others will be able to find this thread as you found the previous threads about this topic. If it doesn't work, we'll investigate further.

Best Regards,

  Tim