Thank you, that explained a lot!

I have used your procedure to get labels from the ROIs and it works
beautifully. Following up on your warning about possible problems in extraction
of ROIs from borders I have checked the generated labels against the original
borders on the fs32 sphere and found very good correspondence between the two,
certainly for my intended purpose.

Sebastian