.surf.gii files only store geometry of cortex, they do not store activation
data.  We generally suggest .func.gii rather than .shape.gii, even though
those two formats are the same, and with fMRI data, .func.gii is more
appropriate.

To get data from the volume onto the surface, you need to have surface
files already (from segmenting your subjects' anatomy), and then use
wb_command -volume-to-surface-mapping.  The HCP Pipelines can automate much
of this process for you (including segmentation), as long as you have the
required scan types.

The issue that Matt is asking about is that the best way to get data onto
the surface is to use each subjects' own anatomy with their own data, and
to never do group averaging in the volume, or volume-based smoothing.  This
is important to avoid mixing signal between cortex and non-cortex, or
across sulcal banks.

Tim