From: <hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org> on behalf of Timothy Coalson
<tsc...@mst.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM
To: "Parvathaneni, Prasanna" <prasanna.parvathan...@vanderbilt.edu>
Cc: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org" <hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>
Subject: Re: [HCP-Users] HCP processing with ciftify requirements

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Parvathaneni, Prasanna
<prasanna.parvathan...@vanderbilt.edu<mailto:prasanna.parvathan...@vanderbilt.edu>>
 wrote:
Hi All,

  Thank you for suggesting “ciftify” on non-HCP datasets. We are trying to run
HCP pipeline using “ciftify" tool on our custom dataset and have few questions

  *   For running recon-all can we use Freesurfer v6.  Suggested version for
HCP (Freesurfer 5.0.3_HCP) seem to have compatibility issues on Ubuntu 16.08 as
mentioned in below thread
https://www.mail-archive.com/hcp-users@humanconnectome.org/msg04158.html

The ciftify pipeline is not the HCP pipelines.  It is a workaround for studies
that don't follow HCP acquisition guidelines, to be able to get some (but not
all) of the advantages of the HCP preprocessing methods.

I would expect that it can accept freesurfer v6 output, but I don't know for
sure.

  *   Do you have any scripts for transforming diffusion data that is aligned
to subject T1 into “cifti” space similar to ciftify_subject_fmri for FMRI data
We haven't released tractography results for HCP data due to unsolved issues
with tractography in general ("gyral bias").  You can run tractography using
surface-based counting, and surface-based cortical results make sense to
convert to standard grayordinate space.  However, the diffusion/fiber direction
information is most definitive in the white matter, while our standard
grayordinate space only covers gray matter, so it would not make sense to
convert that into grayordinate space.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Prasanna