Label commands take pains to avoid making collisions between labels with
different names, or altering label key values when not necessary.  They
also generally don't remove labels simply for not being used in the output,
because that could introduce problems when a small, hard to find area is
missed - instead of shifting all the key values for that subject or making
a label table with a missing key, it keeps the label around despite being
unused.  The label import commands do have options to make different
choices in these situations, but will still not compact the key values into
a minimal range.  There is a command to modify the keys for gifti label
files, but it appears I haven't yet made volume and cifti equivalents.

Having non-compact key values or unused label names is probably okay for
most processing.  If you want them reduced and compacted, you could take a
parcellated cifti file, and use wb_command -cifti-parcel-mapping-to-label
on it - the colors will be random, but the key values will be compact and
in the order of the parcels in the file.

Tim