Yes, that's all true, but unfortunately the romanization system does not
allow for the diphthong "ei," (yes, the tsere and yud form a diphthong,
whether there's a sheva under the yud or not) and retooling the the
standard is far more work than it's worth.

Please do use "ei" while transliterating.  It is incorrect

I think Aaron has an idea worth exploring: creating a rule to deal with
foreign loans to accommodate the source and the form.

Bob Talbott

Principal cataloger/Hebraica cataloger

UC Berkeley

250 Moffitt