From: Heb-naco [heb-naco-bounces+barry.walfish=utoronto...@lists.osu.edu] on
behalf of Heidi G Lerner [ler...@stanford.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2018 3:32 PM
To: heb-naco
Subject: [Heb-NACO] grammar question

Hi all,

I am chanting chapters 5-8 of Shir ha-shirim this coming Shabat.

I have a grammar question.

The text in Shir ha-shirim has "אַשְׁקְךָ֙ מִיַּ֣יִן הָרֶ֔קַח"

My question is why is there a pataḥ under the first yud instead of a tsere.

I have checked several different editions of the Tanakh as well as
Briggs-Driver.

According to Even-Shoshan and Luaḣ ha-Shemot יין  in סמיכות would have a
"tsere" under the 1st yud.

Thanks, Heidi

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica

Metadata Dept.

Stanford University Libraries

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

ph: 650-725-9953