On Sat, 2017-04-01 at 16:59 -0700, Adam Lewenberg wrote:
> I am looking for a quick way to get a snapshot of the Kerberos
> database
> file.
>
> The most obvious way to do this would be to shutdown the kerberos
> service, copy the file, and restart the service. This could be done
> on
> one of the replicas, perhaps one that does not get actual
> authentication
> requests.
>
> Is there a faster way? For example, some database systems (e.g., MS
> SQL)
> have the ability to go into and out of a "quiescent" state faster
> than a
> full service stop/start to facilitate this sort of thing. Does
> Heimdal
> have something like this? Or is the full service restart the
> only/best
> option?

hprop --stdout

will produce a database dump that you can reload later if needed.

kadmin -l list -l '*'

will produce a verbose human-readable list of all the principals in the
database and their attributes. Note that this is not particularly
machine-readable and does not include keys, so it's not a backup.

-- Jeff