I disagree.

While you are technically correct, in my experience most SAs know very well
what services are provided and where, but don’t know enough about DNS to know
what a RR is. For that level of knowledge, having /etc/hosts take precedence is
exactly the “least surprise” behavior.

Personal email.  hbh...@oxy.edu