On 15 January 2018 at 14:03, Jiri Svoboda <jirik.svob...@seznam.cz> wrote:
> I agree that we shouldn't use non-reserved identifiers, because it's
> necessary to be standards conformant. However, using a _HELENOS prefix seems
> too paranoid. The worst that could happen is that upon a compiler upgrade we
> could get a conflict, but this is rather unprobable. No libc I know of does
> this.
>
> Solaris libc, GNU libc, libmusl all use header guard _STDIO_H for stdio.h
>
> I really wouldn't worry so much. Using _HELENOS prefix everywhere is just
> too ugly and has very little benefit.

I was under the impression that both you and JJ are concerned about this
possibility of conflict. Hence the defensive prefix. If that impression was
incorrect, then I completely agree with you. :)

>> Any nonstandard identifiers defined in
>> standard headers must be guarded by '#ifdef _HELENOS_SOURCE', as
>> modeled after existing similar conventions, notably _GNU_SOURCE,
>> _POSIX_SOURCE, _XOPEN_SOURCE, etc.
> Is there a lot of these? I think these should be rather scarce...

Some. Not a lot.
Of course, there's the question of whether it's better to mask declarations,
or just put them in a separate header. My rationale is that masking them
behind _HELENOS_SOURCE is much simpler and faster, and if the separate
header approach is preferred, then we can later simply search for the macro.

-- jzr