Hello Germain!

On 19 February 2018 at 07:33, Jakub Jermář <ja...@jermar.eu> wrote:
> Dear Germain,
>
> thanks for your interest in HelenOS! Please see my comments below.
>
> On 02/18/2018 11:55 PM, Germain Labonté wrote:
>> 1) develop an application for HelenOS
>
> Currently one has to create a directory in uspace/app/ and provide a
> corresponding Makefile along with the application itself. The new
> application's dir needs to be mentioned in uspace/Makefile so that it is
> built by the build system and in boot/Makefile.common so that it is part
> of the boot image.

In case you were interested in developing HelenOS-specific
applications out-of-tree, it shouldn't be much trouble to support that
kind of workflow.

However, in practice, HelenOS-specific application only makes sense if
you are using HelenOS-specific features and APIs, and those APIs are
not stabilized, so there would be no guarantee for that application to
keep working with new HelenOS release.

On the other hand, if you want to write an application that doesn't
strictly require HelenOS-specific features to work, it would be
preferrable to write an application designed portably, with an
abstraction layer for things that differ between systems. This is my
personal opinion, but I consider unnecessarily platform-locked
applications to be a nonsensical burden. An application that can run
on other systems in addition to HelenOS would be much easier to
maintain and debug than one designed specifically for HelenOS only.

>> 2) port an application from another operating system to HelenOS
>> and
>
> One creates a new harbour in:
>
> https://github.com/HelenOS/harbours
>
> Note that it might not be very straightforward to port an application as
> our support for POSIX APIs is quite limited.

I'll be improving this are in coming months. If you have issues, or
there are missing POSIX library functions you need, I'm currently the
best person to ask for help. Feel free to send me a message, and you
can also find me on our IRC channel, under the name "jzr". :)

>> 3) make the outcome available to the community.

GitHub is the gold standard right about now.
You can publish whatever you are working on in your own personal
repos, and inform the community about it via this mailing list.

-- jzr