On 04/15/2018 09:16 AM, Goh Lip wrote:

On 15/04/18 20:58, Richard Owlett wrote:
a MBR BIOS is used.
I wish to dedicate the first partition to Grub

Assuming partition is sda1, from any working grub 2 bios-legacy OS in your computer.
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

Then put in your grub.cfg in sda1/boot/grub/grub.cfg (or /boot/grub2/grub.cfg if applicable)

I did that.
When booting that device, I got the expected grub command line.
I am now investigating what my grub.cfg should look like.

I am reading several references listed at
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-documentation.html
especially
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Invoking-grub_002dmkconfig

I suspect that
  grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
will do what I need.

There is a reference to

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Simple-configuration
which has references to /etc/grub.d  and  /etc/default/grub .

These were not created by grub-install.
Is there a default set somewhere?
Would it be safe to copy them from my current install?
Are there other directories and files I'll need?

Thank you very much.
I suspect you have rattled my thought patterns enough to resolve some apparently unrelated conundrums ;}