On 04/16/2018 06:54 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 06:09:41AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
It's my understanding is that "update-grub" is Debian specific.
My reading of the Gnu documentation suggested that
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
would *similar* functionality.

How many seconds did you spend with the actual code before wasting all
mailing-list readers' time?

Actually several hours.
While searching gnu.org for relevant information I had come across correspondence about a bug report suggesting that Debian's "update-grub" be ported to Gnu's grub. The consensus appear to be {at the time of the exchange} that it might not be best alternative and a pure Gnu solution was being discussed.

As a newbie I often don't what I don't know.
Also, I don't know what I "know" is wrong.

jftr, on Debian, update-grub is a one-liner, calling, surprise
exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"

Greetings
Marc