Can you explain what is actually happening? Is there an error message?

Also, actions aren't typically defined in the ApplicationController,
so I wouldn't be surprised if putting them there makes things iffy.

You can try running your app in production mode on your local machine
is order to see whether the problem is the environment or Heroku (try
"rails s production" at the command line).