My advice would be to drop the index action entirely from
ApplicationController, since its not very good practice
(ApplicationController isn't meant to define actions - it's more for
collecting before_filters and things like that).

If you'd like to talk a bit more about what you're trying to do with
the index action there, we can certainly give you some advice on what
to replace it with.