I ended up reverting to a version of the Gemfile from before I created
the development and test groups, remade the groups, and was able to
fix the problem. I had installed edge rack as the initial message I
was getting is often indicated as a rack dependency mismatch with
rails 3, from what I have read. I removed rack from the gem file,
pointed auth_logic to the rails 3 branch, then remade the test and
development groups into a single block rather than two.