I just had an idea related to an old idea, and wondered what the Hexayurt
community thought of it .

I posted this below on the Cabinz blog
<http://cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/street-lamp-fastened-floating-bases.html>,

and will update it with further related ideas

"The Houston Flooding disaster got me thinking about a similar idea I had
many yrs ago.

The original idea was to have a buckyball framed sphere (shape used for
strength ), covered in grp or concrete .

This would have a small hole in the top & bottom attached to a sealed
sleeve, allowing a metal pole (approx. dia of a street lamp) to pass
through it

This pole would be cemented securely into the ground.

The point of this would be to allow the sphere to rest on the ground in dry
weather (perhaps with an earth rammed tyre wall it sits in for thermal mass
insualtion)  , but to float up & down the pole as the flood water rose, yet
not be swept away .

A windmill  /wifi router / rescue beacon could be attached to the top of
the pole .

 A further thought would be that the pole could be used as a chimney for
wood burning fires, if a hole was cut in one side & a plate inserted to
hold ashes, supported by a through bolt.

Leading on from this, it occured to me today that boat led rescue efforts
in Houston, as in Katrina are

often via boat along the flooded streets (if not by helicopter)

These streets are full of street lamp posts.

If  a floating base, (poss with a cylinder in the middle to wrap around the
pole)  in a kit  could be designed & stred in gdn sheds etc  .

House residents could wait on this platform to be rescuced, instead of
risking being trapped in their houses

in addition, if they were there for longer , a  hexayurt could be built on
it to rest on this floating platform..

Note: some streets lamps may have parked cars in the way of the shelters  "

Related previous ideas ...

*Experiments with Flood Area Pontoon Boat that Forms Pillar & Wall of a
Shelter When Not in Use *

cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/experiments-with-flood-area-pontoon.html

*Prototype For Adjustable Height Footing Base Plate & Leg for Small & Light
OutBuilding / Shelter Mk 3 & Mk 4. (untested)  *

cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/prototype-for-adjustable-height-footing.html