Friday, May 12, 2000

1993 team returns

Najib, Mat Taib and Muhyiddin elected
Umno veeps

KUALA LUMPUR: Three men, who formed the Wawasan Team in 1993, won
the Umno vice-president posts again yesterday.

Incumbents Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and Tan Sri Muhammad Muhammad
Taib were returned with 1,289 and 859 votes respectively while Tan Sri
Muhyiddin Yassin, who was ousted in 1996, polled 813.

However, Muhyiddin dismissed their victory this time around as mere
coincidence when asked about the "Wawasan connection.''

The Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister said he would seek the
guidance of Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad and deputy president Datuk Seri
Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on the task that lay ahead.

VICTORIOUS TRIO...(from left) Muhammad, Najib and Muhyiddin
raising their hands in victory yesterday. --STARpic by Chua Kok Hwa.

Muhyiddin also pledged to do his "very best'' to make the party's struggle
that of
all Malays and Muslims in the country.

He said although he had not expected to win, he was nevertheless grateful.

"Whatever it is, we cannot underestimate the wisdom of the delegates.

"It was a great contest but the wisdom of the delegates has prevailed. No, I
do
not think it was planned,'' he added.

He said his previous term as a party vice-president would help him serve
Umno
better.

In 1993, the three formed a pact with Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and then
Malacca chief minister Tan Sri Rahim Tamby Chik, calling themselves the
Wawasan Team and captured all the posts they contested.

But it was still a sweet victory for Muhyiddin who had earlier complained
that
there were "attempts'' to block Umno divisions from nominating him.

He suggested that the Johor leadership had something to do with it by
directing
the divisions not to nominate him or Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar for the
vice-presidency.

Muhyiddin, 53, later met Dr Mahathir over the matter but declined comment
except that "it has been settled''.

Commenting on his third consecutive term as vice-president, Muhammad said
the victory gave him the mandate to "give his full commitment'' to the party
again.

"There are issues affecting the urban Malays that need our attention. We
need
to solve the problem and move forward,'' he said.

The former Selangor mentri besar, who also dismissed as coincidence the
Wawasan connection, said his victory gave him the mandate to give full
attention to the party and the agenda of Malay development.

"The important thing is to give my total commitment to the party. My service
had been slow these few years.

"But this victory is the mandate to give my best again,'' he said, adding
that the
three of them did not have a pact.

Asked if his being out of the Government hindered his desire to serve,
Muhammad replied that it did not because "what is important is to provide
service''.

He called on Umno members to take heed of the call by the party president
against money politics, saying members should reject bribes for the sake of
stronger party.

The victory is seen as a vindication for Muhammad, 55, who was in the
political
wilderness for over three years.

His political career dipped in 1997 when he was arrested in Brisbane for
allegedly trying to take out A$1.6mil (RM3.7mil) in foreign currencies in
his
hand luggage in 1996 without declaring it.

He was acquitted of the charges in 1998 but it was only in February this
year
that Mat Taib, as he is popularly known, resumed his duties.

Najib, 47, proved the 150 nominations he garnered from the Umno divisions
were no fluke. The Defence Minister also repeated his performance in the
1996
party elections, when he secured the highest number of votes.

"I am deeply touched by the delegates' support. I will take this opportunity
work hard towards fulfilling what is required of me and to ensure that the
party
remains strong.''

He said it was important to ensure that Umno continued to be the main choice
of the Malays.