> Maybe to someone who has used RGB in that format before yes, but I have
> never used/seen it that way until I started to muck with certain functions
> client side.
>
> I am sure there are numerous things that were not so obvious at first to
> you, but now are rather obvious.

I agree.  Looking at most of the network messages (TE effects), it's common to
see time values in 1/10ths of a second.  For example, in common\const.h...

// byte (frame rate in 0.1's)
// byte (life in 0.1's)
// byte (line width in 0.1's)
// byte (noise amplitude in 0.01's)

...but color is usually represented as bytes...

// byte,byte,byte (color)

...for OpenGL stuff it's not uncommon to have color represented as floating
point values between 0.0 and 1.0, but you can usually tell this when the
function name ends in 'f' like glColor3f().

Seeing values like (5, 5, 25.5) would lead me to believe the color values were
floating point (due to the 25.5) but the only way you would know that these
were scaled down by a factor of 10 would be through experimentation (or if this
fact had been clearly indicated in the comments in the r_efx.h header file,
which it is not).

Jeffrey "botman" Broome