I've posted a Half-Life 2 / Source Mod FAQ at the Collective, here:

http://collective.valve-erc.com/?go=source_mod_faq

It is comprised of questions received through email, seen on forums, and
answered in interviews.  As I receive more (and more, and more) email, I'll
be adding more content to this FAQ.  All of the content in this FAQ is
checked through the Half-Life 2 team, so it should be fairly accurate, minus
my own typos. :)

I will be keeping it focused mainly on modding related questions and engine
specs and guidelines that affect mods (map size, polygon budget, etc).

Chris.