There's a Steam.dll in your game directory. Delete it. :)

If it's not there, then find any that aren't in the main Steam directory
and delete them.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Skyler York
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 6:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlcoders] Half-Life 2 has hosed itself!

As the subject suggests, this latest update really hosed over my
Half-Life 2 installation.  After starting Steam and receiving the new
update, here's what happened:

1)  Steam updates and the Play Games window opens.
2)  I double-click on the Half-Life 2 icon in the Steam menu.
3)  "Preparing to play" dialog pops up, then disappears.  Cursor turns
to busy hourglass.
4)  A few seconds later is when Half-Life 2 *usually* starts up.
However it doesn't now.  Instead, the cursor just turns back into normal
and nothing happens.
5)  I check the process window, and there is indeed a hl2.exe running
the background taking up a mere 4 kb of memory.
6)  I attempt to load the Source SDK app (with hl2.exe still in the
background) and get this intimidating messagebox:

SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x12f69c) failed with error 1 :
failed to take master pipe connection lock, Win32 Error 2 "The system
cannot find the file specified."

7)  So I shutdown the hl2.exe process and try again.  However the error
persists.
8)  At this point, Steam won't close normally and I have to end that
process too.  Shutting down Steam resets everything back to it's
original state where I can reproduce the above procedure again and
again, and receive the same errors.

If I go to Source SDK before attempting to run HL2, then it works
without problem and Steam shutdowns normally.  I get the same error with
HL2DM and starting up HL2 with my mod in the "-game" path.  In other
words, the problems only start if HL2 is invoked in some way.
Restarting the computer didn't help.  I thought it was something I did
with the SDK, so I re-downloaded that, refreshed everything etc., and
the error persisted.  I've done everything short of re-downloading
Half-Life 2.

I'm thinking that somewhere along the line my Filesystem_Steam.dll or
Steam.dll got messed up.  Between this update and the last update, I
*did* copy Filesystem_Steam.dll from half-life 2/bin to sourcesdk/bin
because Hammer was complaining about not being able to find it.  But
that's the only "subversive" change I've made.  All these problems seem
to relate to the system, and I know that this last update changed the
directory structure a bit.  If you need any more information I'd be
happy to provide you with it.  In the meantime I will give in and
re-download Half-Life 2 (all 838 megs, jeez) and see if that helps.
Thank God for fast university internet connections...