Ok thanks Mr. Boone!

I also have been looking into the eye mode stuff
looks like at least one problem is in c_baseplayer.cpp line 1171
eyeAngles = target->EyeAngles();

The call the EyeAngles always returns 0,0,0 because there is no
MoveParent.. whatever that is inside const QAngle
&CBasePlayer::EyeAngles( ) in
baseplayer_shared.cpp

CBaseEntity *pMoveParent = const_cast<CBasePlayer*>(this)->GetMoveParent();

is always NULL.  so I'm gonna look into that next.