Again the note that no one here is a lawyer, so either get a lawyer or
simply don't use software written by arseholes who give mixed
messages.

On 8/3/05, Predatory Kangaroo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> you must not have gained any of the knowledge you need for
> this from the GPLed MySQL - if you do, then your software is indeed a
> derivative work,

This is rubbish, it's called interoperable and it has nothing to do
with being a derivative. Something that uses another application
through an interface, published or otherwise, is not a derivative
regardless of whether the developer wants you to believe that or not.

It's one of myths about the GPL that annoys me, it's not viral to use
GPL'd applications in your system, ever, period, unless you MODIFY the
GPL'd software and even then ONLY your mods to the GPL'd software are
covered by the GPL, NOT the other applications you distribute with it.
MySQL simply want to cloud the issue as they wish to make a profit,
which is fine, but their position is legally very questionable ... now
if only I had the dollars to challenge them ;)

DMCA is a red herring in this discussion.

Having said that, anyone making free, non-gpl'd software would be
stupid, very stupid, to use MySQL instead of postgresql because of
this situation.

Jeff