I'm looking into producing a mod that involves widespread player
creation of static brush entities. The biggest problem with that is
lighting - instancing them /should/ be simple enough, but lighting them
correctly looks to prove a major difficulty.

I suppose my question is this: might it be possible in a mod to run
low-quality RAD calculations on-demand and update a face's lightmap
ingame? Once they are created the brushes will be static, so it's a one
time operation. If something that outlandish won't work, what might?

Thanks.