There are a few examples of client-side only entities in the SDK.

Check c_gib.cpp for C_Gib or c_baseanimating for C_ClientRagdoll.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marcus Matèrn
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:14 AM
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlcoders] Is it possible to have client-side Entity only?

Is it possible to have an entity only on the client side without the server
knowing about it? Or do I have to do something like:

IMPLEMENT_CLIENTCLASS_DT(C_Crosshair, DT_Crosshair, CCrosshair)

and have a responding class (CCrosshair) at server side?

I've tried setting it up using this following code but it will not draw.
Do I have to implement my own DrawModel( int flags ) ?

The crosshair should be a entity with x,y,z. Not a 2D HUD object.

Thanks in advance!

class C_Crosshair : public C_BaseAnimating {
   DECLARE_CLASS( C_Crosshair, C_BaseAnimating ); ...
}

void C_Crosshair::Init( void )
{
   // Precache();

   InitializeAsClientEntity( ENTITY_MODEL,  ENDER_GROUP_OPAQUE_ENTITY );

}

void C_Crosshair::SpawnClientEntity( void ) {
   SetMoveType( MOVETYPE_NONE );
   SetSolid( SOLID_BBOX );
}

void C_Crosshair::Precache( void )
{
    PrecacheModel( ENTITY_MODEL );
}

static void CreateCrosshairCallback( void ) {
   C_Crosshair *pCrosshair = new C_Crosshair;
   pCrosshair->Init();
   pCrosshair->SetLocalOrigin( pPlayer->GetAbsOrigin() );

}