McKern:

I can do web searchs as well as you. Probably better.

That TWL article hasn't been correct or valid for
over a year.

I reckon you have not tried that method recently,
have you ?

As it happens, I have discovered a method that works,
which is similar to the current Wiki instructions for
Source debugging.

You must set the debugging executable to:
<myinstallpath>\steamapps\<myaccount>\half-life\hl.exe

The command arguments to:
-game <mymod> -developer -allowdebug

And the debug working directory to:
<myinstallpath>\steamapps\<myaccount>\half-life

Props to BAILOPAN of #sourcemod on Gamesurge for helping
me figure out that I need to set the working directory
as above.

This procedure has enabled me to run a listen server
in debug mode under MSVC .NET 2003.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure the HL1 HLDS
procedure is similar.