http://articles.thewavelength.net/617/

Also, I recommend RH 7.3 for building HL1 binaries. You can find RH 7.3here:
http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.3/en/iso/i386/ 7.3 comes installed with
GCC 2.96 by default. I used it to build TS just a short time ago and it
worked like magic. Magic, I say. What made it even easier is that I
installed it in a VM so I didn't actually have to ever burn a CD or even get
out of my chair to mess with a computer.

I wouldn't bother with egcs, that is an old fork of gcc and I think you will
get better results with gcc 2.95. (They are ABI compatible.) You can get an
unofficial, but clean-building (on Linux) version of HLSDK 2.3 here:
http://metamod.sourceforge.net/files/sdk/

GL

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez