Physics props can be non-solid and still touch triggers.  There is an
optimization in collisionproperty.cpp that disables
COLLISION_GROUP_DEBRIS vs. triggers to save touchlinks (there are lots
of big triggers and lots of debris objects in hl2, for example).  You
can always disable that code in your mod or make your physics prop a
different collision group if that's the issue.  I can't think of any
other reason why you couldn't do this.

Jay