Drak wrote:
I'm still somewhat confused on the whole 'Prediction' thing.

This is what I'm trying to get at, I thought the point of it was to have the
client "predict" what is happening on the server-side.

Causing the player to move around like they have no latency. Which I assume,
is how weapons work. Since there both server and client side.

My question is, since I assume the gravity gun is handled both server/client
side. Why when using it, does it have a very "laggy" feeling. Or when using
the "pick-up" with the use key it feels the same. The carried prop seems to
lag a lot. Is it at possible to have this basically 'seamless' where the
prop feels like it does when playing in singleplayer?

As a follow up, I'm guessing what's happening is that objects that the
player "carries" are being simulated on the server and then
location/rotation are being replicated to clients.  This means that when
you pick up something and move the player's body...

1. The client sends a movement update to the server.
2. The server adjusts the location/rotation of the player.
3. The server moves any objects that are "attached" to the player.
4. The server then sends the object's location/rotation back down to the
client.
5. By this time, the client's player body has moved/rotated to a new
position and this process starts all over again.

The best way to eliminate this round-trip update of carried objects
would be to simulate the position of those objects on the client (make
the client authoritative) and send those updates to the server so that
the server can replicate this movement to all other clients.

--
Jeffrey "botman" Broome