Well I don't know if anything is wrong with that but here's how I do it:

        RemoveAllItems( true );

        State_Transition( STATE_OBSERVER_MODE );

and to stop:

        StopObserverMode();
        State_Transition( STATE_ACTIVE );

this happens when the lives of the player run out, but since I dont want
to move them to team_spectator I just have the above, haven't
encountered any problems yet during playtests.