I was able to record a demo of this happening in Smashball.  I traced
it back to EF_NODRAW being set on the client entity for some unknown
reason.  The client code sets EF_NODRAW on the weapon model on weapon
switch but then removes it when it switches to the new weapon.  Yet,
when this bug is occurring, EF_NODRAW doesn't want to turn off.  I set
the client to remove EF_NODRAW every frame, but it keeps getting
turned on after this bug starts.  I can only assume the server is
responsible for erroneously turning it on and keeping it on somehow.
I also checked and the viewmodel was not dormant on the client.

What's really weird is that if I play the demo to where the view model
disappears and then I reset the demo to some point in the past, the
view model doesn't reappear.  It's still being set to EF_NODRAW.

What I did to fix it for now in Smashball is to go into the
C_BaseViewModel's ShouldDraw function and comment out the "return
BaseClass::ShouldDraw();" line, replacing it with "return true".  In
Smashball, there's never a time when I need to turn EF_NODRAW on for a
viewmodel, and hiding a viewmodel is done elsewhere in the code
anyway.