I can relate. I've been using the Source SDK for the past year on a school
project, and there have been some incredibly frustrating moments. There have
been times where the project had to be put on hold because tools suddenly
stopped working after an update. I had to come up with a slightly ridiculous
workflow to make some of the older scripts and plugins jive with newer
setups.

There have been good moments too, like when the load time for hammer was
suddenly dropped by a huge margin. And the release of their assets and rigs
from some of the "Meet The..." shorts. We are getting new tools and
features, and we haven't been forgotten. It's just that the sdk isn't the
*top* priority at the company. I think a lot of the angry news posts and
articles forget that. Their business is really to make games, not
user-friendly tools, and in the past couple years they have been really
busy.

Like a lot of things, it goes both ways. The source engine is pretty fun,
and I love being able to do the things I can do on it. And man, it's been
one heck of a learning experience. But for my next project, I'm considering
switching platforms for the reason you mentioned: lots of time spent getting
the tools working. It cuts into my ability to make progress sometimes, and
that spare time is precious enough as it is.

-Greg