Yeah, but your analogy falls apart.
Cheaters don't get money from cheating, so having to buy a new copy of a game
is a deterrent.
Stealing accounts can get you into serious trouble, and the more often you have
to do it, the more likely you are to get caught.

VAC and sv_pure go a long way to keep the cheaters out.
Good communication with other admins can fill the gaps quite well.

I honestly don't think there's a better way to handle it, and I've never seen
VAC give out a false positive.
And if it does, just email Valve.  Odds are others have had the issue, and odds
are Valve wants to rectify it.