There are quite a few outstanding issues regarding banning. The one that
most recently annoyed me is that L4D doesn't appear to allow players to
votekick based on SteamID, or showing time played, or showing total
friendly fire this map, or etc, and also does not allow players to voteban
somebody from a game.

Trolls have been exploiting this by going into games, changing their name
to match another player (You can't do this in TF2, so I'm kind of
surprised that L4D allows it), and then striving to ruin the game. There's
only a 50% chance of kicking the right person every time the vote comes
up, and the Troll generally just rejoins the game immediately.

I believe there are sourcemod plugins to accomplish such things, though
I'm not skilled enough with HLDS to start modding it just yet. Too bad
that Valve has such a large backlog of bug fixes to get through before
they start working on 'features'. :/