I've been poking around a little bit for some information on this.  Is
it possible to open the overlay browser from an MOTD in games like L4D
and L4D2?

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam://

"Overlay Browser
      * steam://overlay/<Website or Arguments From Steam://url>
              * Opens the overlay ingame with the specified parameter,
                helpful for opening steam groups ingame so players can
                join. --DontWannaName
                      * Second this request, would be great for creating
                        communities for/in L4D Captain-p0t-n00dle 10:02,
                        10 May 2009 (UTC)"
I was reading here it was a requested feature but that may have been
quite some time ago.  Anyone know if this was an added feature?

-f0rkz