Valve can just penalize servers that ban f2p players if they so wish to.

On 7/4/2011 3:39 AM, Victor Hawley Jr. wrote:
Hi all,

I don't want to start a debate or discussion on the mailing list, but I'm sure most of us have heard of the plugin that automatically kicks players that are detected as non-payers on TF2. Can we get an official word about whether Valve is planning to patch this plugin or not? It has become a very heated discussion on the forums and it would be best for Valve to tell the community whether they are planning to patch this controversial mod (or if they even can).

Once again, this email is NOT A PLACE FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT THE PLUGIN. I'm simply asking Valve for an official word on the topic. They don't seem to be responding about this issue on the forums.

Thank you.