Ta, will give it a try. Is this different than the 'map de_whatever' setting I
currently have in server.cfg?
The reason I ask is that the latter starts the specified map automatically, but
as mentioned the cycle seems awry.

From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of RSS List User
Sent: 14 October 2012 17:12
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Dah! No Half-Life / Valve

Add +map de_whatever  to the command and the custom map will load and
therefore, start your mapcycle.

On 10/14/2012 12:07 PM, Paul Williams wrote:
Hi there. Yes, sorry was too tired to bother earlier. ZZzzz.

(Aside: I am still having trouble with mapcycle.txt seemingly being ignored,
but will look into that later. I took out all the standard maps and have just
one custom one. However it still seems to end up back on the standard maps!?)

Anyway, with regards to the problems you folks helped me with yesterday:
The upshot was, as suggested by many, I should NOT use the GUI!! I know, I was
told, but I am a Windows man! The GUI told me how many players, CPU use etc...
Sigh
What really threw me was that it (Half-Life) was just simply missing from the
GUI options. That combined with the 'fail to start' of the command line server
(without start-up map!) made me think that there was some corruption in my
Valve directory somewhere.

Also being a noob, I did not realize I had to have the 'map <whatever>' entry
in server.cfg. I assumed it would just automatically use mapcycle.txt and start
at the beginning.

I am currently using a batch file to start the server. It just contains:
S:\HLServer\hlds.exe -console -game valve. I read somewhere it can be run as a
Windows service? I am not really keen on having an 'oops-I-closed-it' server
window that at a glance looks like a command window. May look into writing a
Windows Service wrapper for it in VB.NET.

Once I had got the server up and running I spent an age trying to get
'sv_downloadurl' to work, in order to have custom maps etc. download at a
decent speed.
It turns out Microsoft IIS gives a 404 error for file types which are not in
its known MIME type list.
In the end I just added a new MIME type with: Extension '*' - type
'application/octet-stream'.
Took me a while to realize this issue was IIS, I just assumed I had done
something wrong in the HLDS server config.
I think at some point I also had a missing trailing / on the url in the
server.cfg file. This MAY have also stopped it working. Hard to remember with
so many 'edit-try-edit-try' recursions!

Then, before I could leave it and go to bed, I just had to fiddle a bit more.
Here is the final server.cfg I ended up with. Any comments welcome :)

(Q. There was an RCON password setting in the GUI. Am I supposed to have this
set in the server.cfg now instead?)

//BEGIN
sv_aim 0
sv_clienttrace 3.5