Someone posted this workaround on csgo_servers yesterday:

Hi, I have a temporary workaround for Steamcmd failing to connect/login. My
server is in New Jersey, and has been unable to login to Steam for many days
now. The following worked for me:

1. In your steamcmd directory, make a backup of config/config.vdf
2. Open config/config.vdf and find the IP addresses listed under InstallConfigStore ->
Software -> Valve -> Steam -> CM
3. Remove the IP addresses starting with 208.* (note that the addresses are
delimited by semicolons)
4. Re-run steamcmd and login

Again, this is only temporary, and you should restore the backed-up copy when
things are back to normal.

according to Ross:
The path on Linux is likely ~/Steam/config/config.vdf regardless of where
the actual steamcmd binary is installed.