While I haven't seen any comments in public about it, one of Valve's
engineers is working on the problem.  We've had some email exchanges back
and forth which involved me sending steamcmd connection logs, steamcmd
command-line switches, the steamcmd runscript I use, plus ping and
traceroute from my NFOServers Chicago VPS to one of Valve's Steam servers.

There's a new version of steamcmd out now.  The timeout hasn't changed, but
now it will try 4 different servers before it gives up.

For me, my current list has two 208 servers before the first 72 server, so
it waits for the first two to time out before actually connecting to the
third and checking for updates.

Ross Bemrose