I don't understand why others server owners get continuously punished for these
things from half a decade ago. You don't punish all your players if you have a
couple of cheaters or toxic players in your server either. I also don't see how
this have been improved the player experiences at all, since the player base of
TF2 is spiralling down since 2014.

I'm not sure if Valve has still a long-term plan for TF2 anymore, it seems like
everyone is still in for the love of the game. Hat/Taunt/Map makers and Eric
Smith additionally for a little cut of the profit which must be dwindling the
last few years. It will still take a good while before TF2 hits rock bottom
though, in the community server modding scene on the other hand....

We had one quickplay server which was minor modded (map votes, anti cheat
software, a free contract system with real loot, killstreak sounds, ranks,
weather system, extended bots (and no, there were not masqueraded as real
players)) to give are a different feel to the stock experience. These were
additionally guided by our admins/moderators, all without any ads or any kind
of begging systems. It was usually the jumping place for players to get a look
on the our more modded servers like Freak Fortress, Slender Fortress, Deathrun,
Wario Ware and so on.

It had all a good balance between new players from quickplay and players who
stayed, but this changed during 2014 i think, where community servers were
pushed to the edge in quickplay. The divergence between new people coming and
staying as oppose regular people leaving become more and more a problem in the
end of 2015 (at which it was then replaced). So since the playercount were down
below 8 on our quickplay server, even the regulars moved on to our others
servers or stock gamemodes from Valve.

I did my servers for the love for the game, to learn something new in terms of
running a small community and scripting in sourcemod. I sometimes got
frustrated on how Valve were handling us, but most of the time I had to worry
about other things in life. I decided with my team to stick around with our
servers until next years TF2 10 year anniversary, we will see on how things
will be for TF2 and our servers. I hope for good, but I do get the feeling that
we have to shut them all down for good.