I can confirm E. Olsen's reply. Some Mac users have reported to me also
they are getting that same disconnect message.

With the Mac user I tested:

1. Having them try to connect to a server not using the optional update.

2. Having them try to connect to a server that is using the optional update.

3. Having them try to connect to a Valve server.

None of the three tests allowed the user to connect.