Assuming we're dealing with public servers here, private ones can have
oddities depending on how you choose to make them private

> mapcyclefile <- should be able to specify the mapcycle file in the
> server config file.
> motd##.txt <- should be able to set the motd for each fork ( or create
> a motdfile server var )
> host##.txt <- should be able to set the host.txt file for each fork (
> or create a hostfile server var )

Are you sure these don't work?  There's not a cvar for servercfgfile but
that works on the command line (but isn't currently much use, as it is
evaluated before the ## is turned into a number)

> Is there a method to force a fork to be a versus mode server only?

There's no non-hacky way to force _any_ server, forked or not, to be versus
mode only

> Also, fork ## should be a convar in the fork, so each fork only loads
> that specific server##.cfg file.  As it is now, servers are moving from
> port to port so you can not tell someone that a specific server is at
> port xxxxx, as it may move to another port.

Agreed, while there _are_ ways to tell (like giving each server a unique
hostname), it's not always as easy as it could be...

> Can we also get a load order for the cfg files? ( server##.txt seems to
> load, then it seems to load server.cfg after... shouldn't it be the
> other way around? )

I assume you're specifying +exec server##.cfg on the command line... the
order is as listed here:
http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/SRCDS_cfg_startup_order

So your server##.cfg will only be executed once over the lifetime of the
server, which is why being able to specify individual servercfgfile values
for each fork would be useful.  Note that there's also a cfg file executed
when the server is put into versus mode, and one when it comes out of versus
mode, though I can't remember their names offhand.