From: "Fletcher Dunn" <fletch...@valvesoftware.com>
<hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>, "Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing
list" <h...@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:10:21 PM
Subject: [hlds_linux] About the TF2 in-game abuse reporting tool

Wanted to clarify a few things about the new feature in the in-game abuse
reporting tool to report game servers:

* Human judgment is always used before any action is taken based on abuse
report data.

* The potential for malicious players (or competing game server operators) to
abuse the reporting mechanism is an obvious problem that we have foreseen and
taken basic measures to prevent.

* We only really care about servers who receive excessive reports of abuse
relative to other gameservers.  This is pretty effective at canceling our the
"noise" of uninformed or malicious users.

One last reminder: we are keeping the option open to apply any bans, etc to an
*IP*, not just to a game account.  This is a warning to anybody setting up a
"throw-away" server account created specifically to do malicious things.

- Fletch