I've used CentOS, Debian, Arch, and Windows 2003/2008. Gentoo is what I've
stuck with, and it's great. However, as you should know, X is a bad idea.
You need to be 'into it' if this is the path you're wanting to take. Debian
is a lot easier to maintain, and I recommend that if you're wanting to set
it and leave it for a while.

Why Gentoo? Pure system performance.

Thanks,
Kyle.