How about creating an online petition which we all sign and then deliver it
to Valve themselves. I think it would be better if we were proactive and
found out precisely how many communities these changes actually have
affected.

I used to have a relatively active TF2 community with a server in the top
10%. I stopped hosting for a while due to real life commitments and tried
to start again around February, initially as part of my old community. Our
most popular servers were mostly stock with a few enhancements that the
community loved. When I relaunched in February, a number of the original
core members had moved onto games such as DOTA and thanks to QP changes
that I was unaware of at the time, those of us that were left were
scratching our heads as to why the server wasn't filling again.

Initially we thought it might have been the branding of our old community,
so we created a new one this June or so. I went to Reddit and found out
about this, only to find it had bitten a number of communities as this
mailing list shows.

It has been a bitter struggle to get the server half full for even 3 hrs
each night. At this rate I've decided to forget Quick Play and I'm going to
be looking at creating a highly customised server that won't really reflect
the true and vanilla nature of TF2 at all. It is futile trying to compete
with Valve servers at this moment and very few want to sit on a server for
2 hours waiting for it to fill up. If there is no obvious difference
between your server and a full Valve server, other than a reduced player
count, guess which one they will choose.

It is all well and good saying pre-existing communities aren't affected by
this. But it really depends on their size. Even ones with 10K+ members seem
to have difficult filling more than 2 servers, and definitely can't
maintain that player number for the same amount of hours. All the new
players go to Valve servers and eventually the old ones join them because
it is fun for them to pubstomp and 24 player games are better than ones
with 10.