From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Stefan `Sec`
Zehl
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:15 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] "Temporary" Quickplay changes ... 8 months later

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:08 +0200, Emil Larsson wrote:
> I don't think people have a problem with that it's possible to select
> Valve servers in quickplay, but rather that Valve servers is selected by
default.
> By default it should be "any server" really, and then people can
> customize that if they want to prefer valve of community servers.

I disagree. People who don't change settings and land on a bad server will
assume that Valve messed up. So it makes sense to put those players on
"default" servers.

Look, it's server owners who didn't play by the rules who created this
problem. Valve fixed it in the way they could do it without eating up way
more time&people resources. I like the situation now way better than before,
where I had to keep blacklists to even be able to play sanely.

> They also disabled the HTML motd if you joined through quickplay to
> combat the ad-ridden servers, so that point is moot anyway.

This is also missing the point. Even while playing I can get several
annoying messages all over my screen (yes, they are text only, but no less
annoying) bothering me to pay for this oh-so-great server. This is nothing
anyone wants to see who hits quickplay.

CU,
    Sec
--